27 June: 5 Observations for the Week
June 27, 2010 § Leave a Comment
1) Thinking differently: Enjoyed reading Making Ideas Happen for anyone struggling with completing / finishing. It’s a touch smug but I was particularly struck by phrases such as “life is just about following up” and “good judgement comes with experience and experience comes from poor judgement”. Story of the past two months for me. The perils of “creators immediacy” is also something that is my own personal working bindweed; must turn email off, must turn email off…
2) Rolling: The Argentinians rolling around after claiming to being fouled was the best I have seen for years; I didn’t think it happened any more but it was back tonight and great to see. Must have been at least 7 by one chap moving some 2 metres across pitch like a pisshead in a sleeping bag.
3) Skype: Living in South Africa and skyping home was slightly frightening in that I can now see that the high meat, no walking, odd bun approach to life is having a definite impact on my shape. I could soon turn into this fella, no buns this week.
4) Mother Jones: Just came across this weekend and really enjoyed it, find New Yorker too poncey / hard to get into but the stuff on democrats prepping for the US campaign, Murdoch going green and wikileaks was excellent and full of food for thought.
5) Podcasting: Interesting to see Monocle now doing their weekly podcast as there approach to stretching their engagement with their readers. Good mate Steve Bloomfield – who can now never be out of office – will be taking the reins as Foreign Editor. It’s a good idea and shows how all media is changing; too many good causes have weak or bland personalities and no reason why others such as avaaz, oxfam or save could do a whatscomingup discussion of similar quality. Must be a piece of pish to do, just needs time, bright ideas on idiot proof software to get started would be welcome.
That’s it for this week. At work coming up we have a fair amount on; hoping for a Eusebio visit to Mozambique to his old school before the weekend, Mokoena’s first interview post World Cup with 1GOAL on Wednesday and lots of preparation for a returning Shakira.